Tuesday, October 2, 2007

WE GOT THE CALL!!

Hi everyone!

We finally received the call last Wednesday, Sept 26! As I was tripping over Molly and Louie (our labs) on my way out the door to pick up Natalie, Marti (our Children's Hope Rep) was calling.... yet again. I figured that it would be more paperwork.... as usual. She asked how I was.... which perked my interest.... and said that we were needed in Russia for an appointment with the Ministry of Education on Monday, October 8th. As I was writing everything down, it dawned on me that the travel was the following week. ARRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!! And to top it off, Jon was in Duluth, MN (a lovely place from what I hear :) ) on business. So thank goodness for cell phones, I texted him .... WE HAVE TRAVEL DATES!....and of course, I got a call back in 30 seconds! His awesome boss, Mary Jo, told him to call me (she's been living this adventure with us the last 2 years), called the trip short and he came home to help me plan the trip of a lifetime!

We are leaving on Thursday! Our flight is at 1pm Central from O'Hare direct to Seoul, South Korea. It is about a 14 hour flight (pray for Jon!) and thanks to Tina Kennedy (my wonderful friend), we will have a few movies to watch! We arrive in Seoul on Friday at 5:00pm - a world away, not to mention a day away! (It is 14 hours ahead of Chicago time). We will spend the night in Seoul on Friday - (yes I think after this we can be on the Amazing Race and do fairly well!) then our flight leaves Seoul to Vladivostok, Russia (located on the far eastern side of Russia, directly above North Korea) on Saturday October 6. We are so excited and anxious to meet "brother"!

Once in Vladivostok, we are staying at the Vlad Motor Inn. A very cool hotel, fairly remote from the city - and managed by Canadians, with imported North American beef, so my incredibly picky husband is thrilled they have hamburgers and chicken fingers (oh, and American beer & wine!). You can see it by going to www.vlad-inn.ru. The weather should be decent (coordinates are similar to Boston) and we have a link on the side of our blog to let you know the time and weather!

As we continue with our journey over the next couple of weeks, we are going to try to write every day! We can't post pictures of "brother" until after court on our next visit, but we'll post updates as often as possible.

Thanks to each and every one of you for your support over these past 2 years!! We are so thrilled that God has led us down this path and we look forward to sharing it with all of you.

Hugs and love!

Jon, Becky and Nat

6 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

Hi Becky! I'm not sure how I found your blog, but we're with CHI also - our dossier is in Krasnoyarsk. CONGRATS on getting your travel dates to visit "brother"! How exciting... I've followed the blogs of many people adopting from Vlad and they all seem to love it there - the Vlad Inn as well. Can't wait to hear more about your trip as the time comes! Best wishes - Becky

Deb said...

Great news. So glad you have travel dates and they're so soon. Hope all the planning goes weel.

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you all! You have so much love to share! Our thoughts are with you as you travel. Love ya!

Jane said...

Congrats to my SBP! I'm so happy for you. Good luck as you plan your trip of a lifetime and enjoy!
Jane

Unknown said...

Wow, this is great news! You will Love Vladivostok. The weather is beautiful about this time. Of course the city is a little congested, but the area around the hotel is nice. Try to get out and take a walk around the neighborhood. I think this will be a challenge because your trip will be a whirlwind adventure. Can't wait to read all about it!

Suz said...

Oh wow, wow, wow! You're already on your way today!

That was quick. We all wait and wait and wait, then when the call comes it's HURRY UP!

I can't wait to read more about the adventure!